Are you looking for an affordable and easy way to create a black light? Look no further than your smartphone!
In this post, we’ll show you exactly how to make a black light with your phone (either Android or iPhone). You can use the light to spice up your glow party, spot fake currency notes, or even spot urine stains.
Whether you want to host a glow party or spot fake currency notes, this DIY black light is sure to come in handy.
Materials Needed to Make a Black Light at Home:
- A smartphone (with LED flashlight)
- A transparent tape
- Blue and purple sharpie markers
- White paper (to test your black light)
- A yellow, orange, or pink Highlighter
NB: The black light you make at home may not be as effective as a commercial LED black light would, but it is a good way to impress your friends. If you want to light up a whole room, check out this post on the best black lights for a glow party.
How To Make a Black Light with Your Phone (The Steps)
- Place a small piece of transparent tape over the LED flash on the back of your phone.
- Paint on top of the tape with a blue sharpie marker so that the blue color covers the phone’s flashlight.
- Place another piece of transparent tape over the top of the flashlight.
- Again, paint this new layer of tape with a blue sharpie marker.
- Place a third and final piece of transparent tape on the phone’s flashlight (over the first two layers).
- This time paint over the new layer of tape with a purple sharpie marker. And that’s it. You’re done!
- Find a dark room or dimly lit space where you will test your black light (to determine how effective your DIY black light is). You should see fluorescent materials, such as white clothing, glow in the dark.
- Fold the end of the pieces of tape before sticking them on the phone. This makes it easy to pull it off your phone when you’re done.
- You can use clear blue or purple cellophane instead of clear tape and sharpies. Use a rubber band or tape to secure the three layers of cellophane (2 blue and 1 purple).
How black lights work
Black lights emit ultraviolet (UV) light that is invisible to humans. Certain fluorescent substances absorb this UV light and re-emit it at a different wavelength, making the material appear to glow.
A tube black light is a type of fluorescent lamp with a special phosphor coating that absorbs harmful shortwave UV-B and UV-C light while emitting mostly UV-A light.
The name “black light” comes from the fact that it emits very little visible light, making everything else appear dark or black in comparison.
Creating your black light with your smartphone is a simple and fun DIY project that can help you spot fake currency or light up a small glow party.
With just a few inexpensive materials and some experimentation, you can create a UV black light that will impress your friends and family.